B’NAI BRITH SPORTS OF CANADA (BBSC)
MEN’S AND WOMAN’S SOFTBALL POLICIES
The following are B’nai Brith Softball rules that all teams need to follow in order to have an efficient and fun time playing ball. It is only with every teams help that we can run one of North America’s largest Men’s and Women’s softball league’s as smoothly and issue free as we do.
To be eligible to play in BBSC a player must be a member in good standing with B’nai Brith Canada.
REPORTING SCORES - SUBJECT LINE ONLY.
- Following the game, the winning Coach must contact via email the SPORTS DESK by 12pm next day. Please state the score, Teams played, Division, Day and how many innings were played (IP) and how many umpires were present. You may also offer commentary on the game in the body of the email.
- EMAIL SCORES TO:
It may look like the following:
SUBJECT LINE: BLUE JAYS 15 vs RED SOX 11, MAY 24TH THUR, D2, IP7, 2 UMPS.
PLEASE HAVE THE UMPIRE SIGN (and pring name) the BBSC SCORE SHEET
Each team should retain all score sheets in case they are required to confirm playoff eligibility.
Teams have up to 72 hours to dispute a score Games will be posted online as soon as possible
DIVISION STANDINGS will be determined by the following order.
As not all teams will have played the same amount of games within a division, the team with the highest winning percentage will lead. (a point loss for each default will be deducted at seasons end for this calculation).
The following method will be used to break a tie:
- Winning percentage-when teams have played different amount of games.
- Number of wins if same amount of games played.
- Head to head competition.
- Run differential on head to head competition
- Fewest forfeits or defaults
- Coin Toss
DEFAULT POLICY: (prevention)
A default occurs when one or both teams do not have enough players to start a game. BBSC will do its best to prevent these from occurring. A loss will be assigned with a score of 7-0. The defaulting team will lose one point and be charged a $100 default fee. The default “kitty” will need to be replenished prior to the next game.
You will need a minimum of 7 players to start a game. A 10 min. grace is given to reach 7.
You may ask the other team to borrow a player to make 7. However, they are not obligated to do so. Borrowed players will play on your team the remainder of the game.
Any players arriving after start of the game will be added to the bottom of the order.
We at BBSC try our hardest to make sure each game is played and in a sportsman like atmosphere. Unfortunately, sometimes a player will not be able to make a game due to other commitments. Therefore, we have implemented a POOL of players to use or “Free Agents”. We expect teams that are aware they will be short players to first contact players on the POOL list to fill in for the missing player (this will be verified). You may use up to 4 PLAYERS a game to reach a full fielding team, 9 for Men and 10 for Women. The ump and opposition are to be notified of them.
If you are short players and wish to prevent a default fee. You have up to 48 hours PRIOR to game time to notify the Director @ 416-633-6224 X 119 or
You will receive a loss ONLY and deducted a point. If we are notified less than 48 hours you will be charged $100 default fee. (Your DEFAULT FUND will need to be replenished prior to your next game).
BBSC HAS THE RIGHT TO REMOVE A TEAM FROM THE LEAGUE AFTER 2 DEFAULTS, AND PLAYOFF CONTENTION
PLAYERS' POOL – FREE AGENT POLICY (Regular season only)
- Fill-in/POOL players are to be used to prevent cancelled or forfeited games.
- A list of players supplied by the league will be made available to coaches pre-season and updated throughout the season. These players will have already been vetted, as they are current members of B’nai Brith Canada.
- A team may use up to 4 POOL players per game to reach a maximum fielded team.
- USE: POOL players will be added to your order after all regular team players. Once added, and if other players arrive, they will continue to be on your roster for the game. Do not send these players home as they are doing you a favour!
GAME FLOW POLICY (To encourage more complete games)
- Home team to supply bases. It is recommended that the Home team swaps out bags rather than spend time replacing bags already on the field. For divisions with 3 games, it is recommended the middle game bring a set of bags to offer the first game Home team and then swap out the bags on field to the final game of the night - Or make other arrangements. Bases will be measured by the teams and confirmed/paced out by the umps and should be in place 10min prior to the game.
- Only team captains, or designate that are registered on the team, may approach the umpire about any aspect of the game.
- Shirts must be numbered, have sleeves or vest, no tank tops. Shorts are permitted but not recommended.
- Pitchers will only get 3 warm ups per inning. NO INFIELD BALLS AFTER 1ST INNING.
- MERCY RULES APPLY TO REGULAR SEASON ONLY.
- Games will end after 7 innings. OR Mercy rule being applied. No new inning after 1hr40. Game is over at minimum of 1hr55 or lights curfew. Women after 1h30m. If time permits, and it’s a tie - extra innings may be played. Scores will revert to the last full inning played.
- Run Mercy: Each team will be allowed a maximum of 6 runs per inning for the first 4 innings. The inning is considered OVER once the 6th run has scored and the ball is dead. Unlimited runs from 5th onward. After 5 innings of play, if a team leads by 18 runs the game will be called a MERCY. This is to prevent on field issue’s and keep game flow positive.
- RAINOUT POLICY: Teams must show up at the park rain or shine unless told otherwise. Games called due to bad weather or poor field conditions will be considered official after 4 innings are played, or 3.5 innings if the home team is ahead in regular season. Regular season games after August 1st can not be guaranteed to be rescheduled. We try to guarantee a minimum of 13 season games. Should you have more then 2 games cancelled for reasons as: Field or light issues, permit issues, umpire issues. BBSC will begin to arrange make-up games.
- Playoff games must have a minimum of 5 innings played to be considered complete and will be rescheduled if time permits, no new inning after 1h45. No end time.
- COURTESY RUNNERS are allowed for a maximum of 4 players. The courtesy runner must be the person furthest from the batter in the line-up unless its an injured player, in which case the runner would then be the next person. Women: Only for injured players, must reach 1st base as a minimum.
- The pitching action must resemble that of a straight bowling motion or a figure eight, NO BEND IN THE ELBOW AT THE PEAK OF THE BACKSWING.
- At no time can a pitcher’s arm be more then (1’) one foot from the leg or body.
- At least ONE FOOT must start on the rubber with one clear and immediate step forward (no stepping to the side OR BACK if starting with Both Feet on the rubber). A Foot can drag after release of the ball, hop step is ILLEGAL.
- The pitcher may release the ball PALM facing down. Arm may not rise above the shoulder.
- One charged conference per inning is permitted. 2nd conference and pitcher must be removed.
- No windmill or sling-shot type pitch is permitted.
SMOKING, ALCOHOL AND CANNABIS USE
- According to the bylaws of Toronto, Markham and Vaughan, there is absolutely no alcohol or drug consumption on public property.
- No smoking or vaping in the dugout or on the field, no alcoholic beverages in the park at all.
- ANY ALCOHOL OR CANNABIS USE AT THE PARK = TEAM SUSPENSION.
BBSC has a Zero Tolerance approach to violence. There will be severe consequences to those players who act in anyway deemed detrimental to BBSC. Decisions made by the DIRECTOR are final and only those issues that offer an appeal process will be accepted in writing with stipulated fee for processing. Appeals will be heard before a committee. Any player ejected from a game will donate $20 to BBC prior to the next game. Please see the list below for approximation of penalties that may occur.
- 1 game automatic to MAX 1year suspension.
Ejection from a game, using offensive, insulting, threatening, degrading or abusive language towards any player or official.
- 4 games to MAX 1 year
- 3 game suspension
A complete disregard for the safety of another person or attempt to injure and physical abuse.
2nd ejection from a game - same player.
- Player 1yr suspension + team captain up to 3 games
Participating in an activity while under suspension.
- Team captain 2 game suspension
Played an ineligible player
ANY SUSPENSIONS EXCEEDING 3 GAMES MAY BE APPEALED IN WRITING WITH A $100 NON-REFUNDABLE FEE WITHIN 48HRS OF DECISION.